Health Reform Quiz
There was a buzz on facebook about the Health Reform Quiz. PG saw an opportunity to write some text to go between the pictures, and take a few cheap shots at the medical industrial complex. These shots will be the only thing that is cheap. Pictures are from The Library of Congress.
The quiz is presented by the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. They claim “The Kaiser Family Foundation is not associated with Kaiser Permanente or Kaiser Industries.” Of course, wikipedia says that Kaiser Permanente was founded by Henry J. Kaiser. Maybe it is a different one.
The quiz is ten questions, all of whom start with “will the health reform law”. They concern the Affordable Care Act, aka health reform law, aka Obamacare. There are three possible answers to each question … No, the law will not do this, Yes, the law will do this, Don’t know. As internet quizzes go, it is a model of simplicity. The questions are:
1. Will the health reform law require nearly all Americans to have health insurance starting in 2014 or else pay a fine?
2. Will the health reform law allow a government panel to make decisions about end-of-life care for people on Medicare?
3. Will the health reform law cut benefits that were previously provided to all people on Medicare?
4. Will the health reform law expand the existing Medicaid program to cover low-income, uninsured adults regardless of whether they have children?
5. Will the health reform law provide financial help to low and moderate income Americans who don’t get insurance through their jobs to help them purchase coverage?
6. Will the health reform law prohibit insurance companies from denying coverage because of a person’s medical history or health condition?
7. Will the health reform law require all businesses, even the smallest ones, to provide health insurance for their employees?
8. Will the health reform law provide tax credits to small businesses that offer health insurance coverage to their employees?
9. Will the health reform law create a new government run health insurance plan to be offered along with private plans?
10. Will the health reform law allow undocumented immigrants to receive financial help from the government to buy health insurance?
PG got 9 questions correct. This is better than 97% of Americans. (Make that a chocolate chip cookie.) The only question he missed was four. Yes is the correct answer for number four.
Like most Americans who get their health insurance through employers, PG has been insured by a wide variety of companies. Kaiser Permanente had a turn, and was fairly pleasant to deal with. The problem was a co-worker that got cancer, and cost Kaiser a lot of money. After he went to the outstanding value in the sky, Kaiser told redo blue to find another health care provider.
A few years later, PG got laid off, and was looking for health insurance. He gave an honest answer to the wrong question, and was told he could not buy a policy from Kaiser. Whether this was the real reason, or a handy excuse for not insuraning an older man, is between G-d and the Kaiser computers.