Killed By Police March 18

Posted in Killed By Police, Library of Congress by chamblee54 on March 18, 2018

24 people were Killed By Police in the United States last week. Here are the links: 237 Daniel Stacey Reynolds 238 Christopher Eisinger 239 Kenneth Scott Townley 240 Joshua Pawlik 241 Juan Garcia Alvarez 242 Andy Lucero 243 Terrall Magee 244 Solomon Agwomoh 245 Decynthia S. Clements 246 Jaden Marsh 247 Michael Delloyd Ward 248 Corky Lee Oliver 249 Justin Lee Dietrich 250 Jontell Reedom 251 Brisco Tim Woodel 252 Bryan Keith Liles 253 Shermichael Ezeff 254 Ryan Chapman 255 256 Cameron Hall 257 258 James Vaughn 259 Mark Clinton Harrell, Jr. 260 William Langfitt

10 of the victims were white. (239, 242, 246, 248, 249, 251, 252, 254, 256, 259) 7 of the victims were black. (238, 244, 245, 247, 250, 253, 258) 241 Juan Garcia Alvarez was latino. The race of 6 of the victims is unknown. (237, 240, 243, 255, 257, 260) 245 Decynthia S. Clements was female.

6 of the victims fired at an officer. (237, 241, 246, 249, 251, 258) 9 of the victims displayed a weapon. (239, 240, 245, 247, 248, 254, 255, 259, 260) A taser was used on 4 victims (244, 247, 250, 256) 3 of the victims died without a shot being fired. (238, 243, 244) 5 of the victims were in a domestic dispute (237, 242, 251, 256, 257) 3 of the victims were in an altercation with police (250, 256, 257) 246 Jaden Marsh was possibly suicidal.

“Officers who responded to the 1300 block of South East Gates Street Friday night spotted the suspect in a backyard and chased him to the 3000 block of West Ball Road, police said. According to police, Eisinger violently resisted by kicking and ripping his arms away. Officers used “control holds and physical force” to restrain him. “The officers used control holds, they used physical force during this contact to overcome his resistance and take him into custody for the suspected crimes,” Anaheim Acting Police Chief Julian Harvey said last week. “The preliminary review shows the officers did not employ a carotid restraint, did not employ impact weapons, did not employ a Taser or deliver any strikes to the suspect.” … However, once (Christopher) Eisinger was handcuffed, he stopped breathing and went into full cardiac arrest, police said. … Police said Eisinger appeared to be under the influence of narcotics when he was arrested.” (238)

“At 6:17 p.m. Sunday, Oakland firefighters responded to the 900 block of 40th Street for a report of a person down who appeared to be armed with a gun, police said in a statement Wednesday. Four Oakland police officers … found a man on the ground between two buildings in the block. The man was armed and holding a semiautomatic handgun, police said. While officers began developing a plan to resolve the situation, they gave commands to the man, identified as Joshua Pawlik, 32, to put the gun down. “It was reported that officers believed Pawlik’s actions posed an immediate threat to the officers with the risk of death or serious bodily harm,” police said. “Multiple officers discharged their service firearms, striking Pawlik.” (240)

“This all started Sunday at 7 a.m. when State Police were called to a home in Ft. Sumner in reference to the violation of a restraining order. Police say Lucero entered his ex-girlfriend’s home and a fight ensued. During the altercation, a friend of the ex-girlfriend’s showed up to the home and Lucero shot her. The friend was taken to a hospital in Lubbock, Texas with non-life-threatening injuries. Lucero fled the scene and the search for him began. Police were alerted to a fire in Ft. Sumner where they found two structures and what they believe to have been Lucero’s car on fire. From there, they were able to track Lucero down. That’s when shots were fired and he was killed.” (242)

“According to Santa Ana police, at 9:17 p.m. Sunday officers responded to a burglary alarm at 2411 West 1st St. discovered the suspect jumping a fence on the property. A foot chase ensued, and an officer caught up with Magee, leading to a “physical altercation,” police said. More officers arrived on scene and attempted to subdue him. At some point, Magee went into medical distress. Officers performed CPR on him until paramedics arrived and rushed him a local hospital. Magee was pronounced dead at 10:10 p.m.” (243)

“Solomon Agwomoh, who drove for Chicago Carriage Cab Company, was involved in a crash with another vehicle at the intersection of Cottage Grove Avenue and Sibley Boulevard in Dolton around 12:40 a.m … Agwomoh was apparently conscious following the crash, and a witness who encountered him said that while shaken, he appeared to be “in a normal state of health,” said Bob Napleton, a lawyer who filed the lawsuit on behalf of Agwomoh’s family. Around 1 a.m., an ambulance took Agwomoh to the hospital, where he underwent a CT scan in the presence and custody of Dolton police, the lawsuit stated. It’s unclear exactly what happened next, but according to the lawsuit, a Dolton officer “willfully and wantonly employed a Taser without justifiable cause to deliver a lethal electric current” to Agwomoh, a father of four from South Holland. The cause and manner of Agwomoh’s death is pending, a spokeswoman for the medical examiner’s office said. … Dolton Police Chief Robert Collins said he was aware of the lawsuit but had yet to read it. Agwomoh had been in custody for suspected DUI at the time of the incident, Collins said. “The officer did everything by the book,” he said in an email. “In the law enforcement community, we’ve come to learn that even the cases in which officers do things by the book, there is still litigation.” Collins said the officer deployed a stun gun on Agwomoh after he became “uncooperative and combative” with the hospital staff who were treating him. “The Dolton police officer present intervened and eventually had to use a Taser on the man because of his aggression,” Collins said. “The Taser was ineffective against the man, and thus the man began fighting with the officer until hospital security arrived to assist.” After Agwomoh was eventually restrained with the assistance of hospital security, Collins said, hospital staff administered him “some sort of sedative” in an effort to calm him down. “Shortly thereafter the man (lost consciousness),” he said. “Efforts to save him were met with negative results.” (244)

“Elgin police said the incident started around 12:30 a.m. Monday after officers made contact with a suspicious vehicle at Cedar Avenue in Elgin. During the encounter, police said 34-year-old Decynthia S. Clements fled. Officers chased her initially, but then gave up. Clements’ vehicle was then spotted on westbound I-90 near Route 25. Elgin officers made contact with Clements and observed she was armed with a knife, police said. Police say they then “disengaged immediately,” and tried to negotiate with her for over an hour. During that time, police said Clements would move her vehicle up several feet. At one point, officers noticed a fire had started inside the vehicle. Police say they tried to pull her out of the burning vehicle, but something happened, and an officer ended up shooting his weapon, killing her. … Her family says she was shot multiple times.” (245)

“Police in Colorado Springs shot and killed a man who barricaded himself inside a motel room and took a woman hostage, officers said. Colorado Springs police responded to the Travel Star Motel in the 1700 block of Nevada Avenue at about 3:30 p.m. Monday after receiving a tip that a man wanted on a robbery warrant was staying there. When the officers arrived, the man, identified as Corky Lee Oliver, 31, barricaded himself inside a room, telling officers he was armed and had a woman with him, police said. Police evacuated the motel and called in crisis negotiators, who spent several hours talking to Oliver. At about 9:40 p.m., police forced their way into the room. It’s unclear what happened but police said shots were fired and Oliver was killed.” (248)

“Around 4:30 Monday afternoon officers were responding to the assault of a bus driver near the corner of E Cross Ave and N Cherry St. When they spotted a man matching a suspect description, they attempted to talk to him. That’s when officers say the man tried to fight them. According to Police, the physical altercation prompted officers to use their Tasers, which they say were ineffective. “The suspect became combative. At that point in time, the officers put out that there had been shots fired,” said Sgt. Hamlin. Cell phone video of the encounter shows one officer running after the suspect before using his Taser, the chase continues with the suspect punching the officer, the officer then takes out his baton and swings. The chase then moves across the street where the second officer pepper sprays the suspect. Shortly after, shots are fired.” (250)

“At about 5 p.m., agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives tracked the man to a vehicle across the street from the Historic Sandy station, 9000 S. 165 E., Sandy police Lt. Dean Carriger said. Agents had a warrant for his arrest when they shot him, Carriger said. He didn’t say what prompted the shooting, only that agents fired “during their contact” with the man. … Vanessa Vasquez lives on the corner … When she went outside, Vasquez said, she saw the man handcuffed and bloody, lying on the ground on his stomach. He wasn’t moving or speaking. “To me, he looked like he was dead,” she said.” (252)

“The Baton Rouge man shot and killed Wednesday by a deputy had been hospitalized Monday after having an apparent psychotic break, but was released Tuesday even though he continued to show the same symptoms, the State Police said Friday. Senior Trooper Bryan Lee, a State Police spokesman, said multiple witnesses, including family members, told investigators that 31-year-old Shermichael Ezeff “appeared to be in an altered state of mind.” Family told police about Ezeff’s hospitalization and subsequent release as law enforcement investigated the Wednesday afternoon fatal shooting of Ezeff by an East Baton Rouge Parish’s sheriff deputy, Lee said. That deputy was serving a temporary restraining order when he was approached by Ezeff, who was already covered in blood, EBR Sheriff Sid Gautreaux III said Wednesday. Lee said Friday that witness statements and preliminary evidence supports that there was an altercation before the deputy fired at least one shot.” (253)

“A Rosebud Sioux Tribe police officer shot and killed a man just before midnight Thursday in the Parmelee Community according to the FBI. Very little has been released about the shooting, except that the officer was confronted by a person with a weapon who failed to respond to the officer’s commands. The officer then shot and killed him.” (255)

“… the Jonesborough Police Department received a complaint concerning possible drug activity at a hotel located along East Jackson Boulevard/ Highway 11E. Upon arrival, officers encountered a male subject in the parking lot. The man displayed a large knife and threatened to harm himself before leading officers on a foot pursuit. The foot pursuit crossed over E. Jackson Boulevard and ended in the 400 block. Officers continued to give the individual orders to drop the weapon, but he refused to comply. At some point during the second confrontation, the subject reportedly moved toward one of the officers with the knife. The situation further escalated and resulted in the officer firing his service weapon, striking the subject. He was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead. No officers were injured during the incident.” (259)

“Events began at 9:32 p.m. when a woman called 911 and said a male friend (William Langfitt) was having a mental breakdown in the middle of the road. The 911 dispatcher could hear screaming. The woman said her friend had a knife, the Sheriff’s Department says. “Let go of me now,” the dispatcher heard the woman say. “Stop it.” She got back on the phone and said the man was going east on 252nd Street East. Deputies headed to the area. A second person called 911 to say a man had just tried to get into his vehicle. The first 911 caller was still on the phone and reported that her male friend was trying to “jump into other people’s vehicles.” Then she reported he was trying to get into her vehicle. Minutes later, a deputy radioed in that shots had been fired, the Sheriff’s Department said. The Sheriff’s Department said the man reportedly refused to heed the deputy’s commands at gunpoint, then tried to get into the deputy’s vehicle. The deputy then opened fire.” (260)

Pictures are from The Library of Congress.

One Response

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. […] 12/31/17 01/07/18 01/14/18 01/21/18 01/28/18 02/04/18 02/11/18 02/18/18 02/25/18 03/04/18 03/11/18 03/18/18 03/25/18 04/01/18 04/08/18 04/15/18 04/22/18 04/29/18 Pictures for the killed by police finale are […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: